“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20
Matthew 28:19-20 is known as the Great Commission. Social media platforms (such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, et al) are great vehicles for sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ! Why social media?
- Facebook has nearly 500,000,000 users.
- If Facebook were a country, it would be the third largest in the world, following only China and India.
- One-third of women 18-34 check Facebook when they first wake up.
- YouTube is serving well over a billion views a day. That’s at least 11,574 views per second, 694,444 views per minute, and 41,666,667 views per hour.
- The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year old females.
- YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world.
- In less than five minutes over 100 hours of video will be uploaded to YouTube.
- There are nearly 80 million users on Twitter.
- iPod application downloads hit 1 billion in 9 months
- There are over 200,000,000 blogs.
- 80% of companies use social media.
- 95% of these companies use the social network, LinkedIn.
- Generation Y and Z consider e-mail passe.
- Some universities have stopped distributing e-mail accounts. Instead they are distributing eReaders, iPads, and tablets.
- Kindle eBooks outsold hardcover books last Christmas.
- 24 out of the 25 largest newspapers are experiencing record declines in circulation.
- 60 million updates happen on Facebook daily.
- Terrestrial radio is fading, with zero annual revenue growth and a downward trend.
- Physical book publishing is growing at a sluggish 3% rate and the industry trend is down.
- Contrast this with e-book publishing which is growing at an annualized rate of 65%.
- Through 2010, it’s predicted that newspapers will decline an additional 10.6%.
- Yet blogs, including religious blogs, are doubling every few months.
- Over 20% of online teenagers now maintain their own blog sites.
- Nearly 60% of teens have created Internet content.
- Podcasting and vlogging is growing so fast that demographers cannot keep up.
- 1 out of 8 couples met via social media networks.
- 96% of Millennials (those born between 1980 and 2000) have joined a social network.
- Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S.
- 50% of the mobile Internet traffic in the UK is for Facebook.
Social media is, definitely, not just a fad. It is a game changer for the way we communicate. And that includes how we communicate the Gospel, and how we carry out the Great Commission!
How are you using social media to share the Gospel?
(Source of data Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business, Erik Qualman; “Surfing the Liminal Domains”, John La Grou; Masahable, and TechCrunch.)
Until next time, remember, you can do all things thru Christ Jesus!