“For I know the plans I have for you”, declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
Welcome to 2012! It’s slated to be an exciting, eventful year – what with the Summer Olympics in London, and presidential elections in France and the United States, just to mention a few! And it’s also expected to be an exciting year for social media and faith, as well!
As you begin the journey into the new year, it’s critically important to know where you’re going, and to have a good roadmap or GPS to help get you there. Advanced planning is vital for social media success in 2012!
Do you have your new Facebook Timeline profile ready or activated? What is your social media strategy for this year? How does it differ from last year’s? Do you have LinkedIn or Google+ strategies for your ministry or church? Have you established daily, weekly, and monthly social media schedules? What are your S. M.A. R. T. social media goals for the year ahead?
Right out the gate, here are some of the major trends to look for in 2012: 1) An increased usage of mobile devices, especially smart phones and tablet computers (like the iPad 2) – Make sure your website is mobile friendly! ; 2) Social networking will remain huge – Can you believe Facebook will surpass one billion (with a “b”) registered users this year?; 3) Expect to see increased usage of short videos; 4) Social media will continue to play a major role in social and political mobilizations and movements; 5) Trust, transparency, and respect will become even more important; and 6) Look for an increased adoption of social media by non-profits, churches and other faith based organizations.
As you engage your social networks in 2012 remember to listen to and learn from them. They have a lot to teach you! Harvest insights and share them. Use smart metrics to measure your social media effectiveness (ROI). Always seek to be helpful and to add value to the individuals in your networks. Your vision is your compass. And remember, your focus should always be on Jesus! The challenge is adapting digital technology and social media to share the Gospel more creatively and effectively, both locally and globally! And finally, don’t neglect in person fellowship!
The following are examples, suggestions, tips, and tools that, hopefully, you’ll find helpful on the social media and faith journey ahead:
- [Infographic] The SMB Social Media Cheat Sheet - ReadWriteWeb, David Strom
- 4 Community Management Predictions for 2012 - Mashable
- 7 Resolutions For Your Website in 2012 - Christian Web Trends
- 10 Tips For Christians in Social Media - Faith, Media + Culture
- 50 Ways to Use Social Media - Jeremiah Owyang
- 60 Best Church Website Designs - VisualSwirl
- 2012 – Digital Opportunities in the Year Ahead - Digital Evangelism
- Build Your Platform/ Start – Chris Brogan
- Build Your Social Media Schedule for 2012 - Social Media Today
- CES 2012 - CNET
- The Church App – Subsplash
- Facebook Timeline Customization: 5 Tools for Killer Cover Photos – Mashable
- Facebook Timeline: The Complete Guide - Mashable
- Going Beyond Ministries - Priscilla Shirer
- Google+ The Complete Guide - Mashable
- How to Upload a Video to YouTube – YouTube Video
- Joel Osteen Ministries
- John Maxwell On Leadership - John C. Maxwell
- Mars Hill Church - Mark Driscoll, Founding Pastor
- MobileAdvance – Mobileadvance.org
- New Breed of Social Networking Sites w/ Mario Armstrong - YouTube Video
- Non-Profits and Social Media: Planning For Success - Neal Schaffer
- Productivity Tips for 2012 – Copyblogger
- Social Media and Ministry - Rev. Dr. Kenneth Lillard
- Social Media for Churches - UMCom.org
- Social Media: What to Expect in 2012 – Social Media Today
- Social Media Strategy Map - WeAreMedia
- Ten Social Media Strategies to Define a Successful 2012 – Brian Solis
- The 8 Habits of Highly Effective Bloggers – Copyblogger
- The Potter’s House – Bishop T. D. Jakes
- Top Five LinkedIn New Year’s Resolutions for 2012 - Social Media Today
- Why I Follow You On Twitter - Brad Lomenick
What are your social media goals for the next twelve months?
We’re wishing you success, prosperity, and all the very best in 2012!
Until next time, remember, you can do all things thru Christ Jesus!