For two weeks in a row, Sony Picture’s The Social Network held down the U.S. #1 top box office spot! Directed by David Fincher, and starring Justin Timberlake and Jesse Eisenberg, it is a surprise movie hit about the birth of the social networking giant, Facebook. Indeed, there’s a tidal wave of interest by all types of people in the phenomenon called social networking.
More to the point, The Social Network is a story about how digital technology has been applied to building social relationships. Can you believe that Facebook boasts over 500 million users worldwide? It’s true!
The immediate lesson for ministry is 1) there are a lot of Christians on Facebook, including pastors, evangelists, members, et al; and 2) digital technology, including Facebook, is a great tool for sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter can help ministry:
- Share the Word with both fellow Christians and the unchurched
- Stay connected with members, family, and friends
- Tighten communications within small groups
- Communicate information and announcements about upcoming activities and events
- Encourage those who might be discouraged
- Conduct surveys and polls
- Give kudos to well deserving team members on jobs well done
- Post prayer requests
- Serve as an educational tool by linking to online resources
- Gather feedback from staff and members about issues and concerns
- Harvest insights to benefit the body of Christ
What are other ways that the Social Network can benefit ministry?
Until next time, remember, you can do all things thru Christ Jesus!