One of the primary roles of social media, as applied to faith, is to support and develop strong and healthy ministries that make a real difference in the lives of people.
One of the most pressing problems facing social media ministry is not staying on top of the latest technological developments, nor mastering the hottest, new social media platforms. It is leadership! It is developing a Christ-led vision for the effective application of digital technology in general, and social media in particular, to ministry and influencing others to embrace and implement it to God’s glory.
We live in a digital era of unprecedented opportunity and plentiful resources. If the church loses significant influence relative to other institutions in society it will primarily be due to a lack of leadership. Church expert George Barna has noted that the Christian church in America is declining numerically. He stated, “the primary reason is the lack of leadership…Nothing is more important than leadership.”*
God is the Ultimate Leader and He calls every believer to lead others. “The LORD will make you the head, and not the tail…” Deuteronomy 28:13. This leadership role is clearly modeled in the Bible by Christ as the Servant Leader (Matthew 20:25-28). In social media ministry, the gift of leadership (Romans 12:6-8) can be applied to:
- Creatively and effectively sharing the gospel, both locally and globally.
- Advancing the development and distribution of mobile technologies to communicate the faith and to add value to others.
- Facilitating the movement from monologue to dialogue, enabling engagement, interaction, contribution, and participation in the church.
- Enabling others to discover and employ their spiritual and personal gifts.
- Providing ministries with the digital tools and expertise to help build robust communities of believers, both online and in person.
- Creating authentic relationships that promote true fellowship and service modeled on the example of the life of Jesus.
“Management is doing things right. Leadership is doing the right things.” ~ Peter Drucker. Leadership is about more than marketing, SEO, church branding, or promoting yourself or your ministry. It is more than having a “leadership position”. Leadership is about being the salt and light as Jesus mandated in Matthew 5:13-16!
The following links provide additional insights into the key dynamic of effective leadership:
- Christianity Today – Leadership Journal
- Top 20 Blogs Every Christian Leader Should Read – Church Leaders
- The Potter’s House – Bishop T. D. Jakes
- #chsocm – + church social media
- New Media Project – Union Theological Seminary
- Top Christian Podcasts – Scott Williams
- Top 10 Leadership Books for Pastors – Ron Edmondson
- Alltop Leadership News
- 25 Best Leadership Bloggers – Online College
- 100 Leadership and Ethics Blogs 2012 – Leading In Context
- Eight Lists of the Best Books on Leadership – Storify
- John Maxwell on Leadership – John C. Maxwell
How are you applying the leadership dynamic to social media ministry?
* George Barna is quoted from the Introduction of “The Maxwell Leadership Bible, Lessons in Leadership from the Word of God” by John C. Maxwell, Thomas Nelson Publisher.
Until next time, remember, you can do all things thru Christ Jesus!